Tuesday 2 July 2013

Summer bases

Hi guys today's post is inspired by a lovely follower of mine. Recently I asked if anyone had any ideas about some summer themed posts, then she replied to saying how about good foundations and primers for summer. I immediately thought what an excellent idea so that's why I am writing this blogpost today.
M y skin is normal, and I get the occasional blemishes.


The first category is light bases-

Laura mercier tinted moisturiser- This retails for £33, WOW pricey I know, I have this in the shade blush which is slightly too dark for me at the moment. The coverage of this is a light and if you layered it, it could be a medium (at a push though). This glides onto the skin beautifully, the good thing about this is that there is something for every skin type oily, normal and dry. There is a original one for normal skin, radiance one for dry and a oil free one for... You guessed it oily skin.
I would rate this a 4/5, it would be a 5/5 but it's just the colour I have putting me off, not to forget the steep price tag.

LOREAL lumi magique light infusing foundation- This is more if a budget friendly light base, I am loving this at the moment i have it in the shade R/C/K1 rose pearl. I would say this could be good for all skin types but people with oily skin may need to powder through out the day. The only bad thing is the shade range there is not really anything for really pale people :(
I would rate this a again 4/5

Laura mercier mineral powder- Now this retails for £31 (gasp) I have this in the shade natural beige, again slightly too dark for me at the moment but I can work with it. Now this is for one of those lucky people who don't have blemishes, this will even out your skin tone and make your skin look flawless, but my only issue is that it does not last all day. Now if your thinking oh I wish I could have this but I have problematic skin at it wont cover that, fear not you could use this as a powder on top of your foundation to give you that flawless look.
I have done a review of this previously on my blog so check that out if you want to know more.
I would give this a 3.5/5 oooo harsh I know, but I do actually really love it despite its faults.

Revlon photo ready BB cream- Another budget buy, this retails at £9.99, so not super cheap but cheaper than others. I would say this is quite a thick texture and it does cover fairly well but it still feels on your skin as you have not makeup on, it is also quite dewy, I have this in the shade 010 light.
I would give this 3/5 just because I do really like it and I like it for no makeup makeup days.

Maxfactor CC cream- This retails for £10 ish and I have this in the shade 40 fair. I do like this but I would say this is really quite pink toned and I also find this to be more of a matte finish than the bb cream. But nevertheless I do really like this and I use it on my more oily days or if I felt I wanted a more matifying base.
I would give this a 3.5/5 just because it does last longer on me than the BB cream.


Now for light-medium bases:

Bourjois healthy mix serum- This is also budget friendly at £10.99 I have this in the shade 51 light vanilla. I personally would say this is quite yellow toned, but I love this so much I love the coverage and the finish. The only problem is the shade range they only have 4 shades which are aimed at people with lighter skin.
I would give this a 4/5, what can I say I Love it.

Maxfactor 3 in 1 foundation- this retails for £11.99 and I have it in the shade 45 warm almond. I also love this foundation the coverage is light- medium I love it but I just don't love the fact that it is quite pink toned, not neutral. If your in the USA then I believe there is a cover girl foundation that is the same as this one in similar packaging. This foundation lasts well so it will be good for the summer.
4/5 , again I really love this.

Chanel vita lumier aqua- now another highend one this retails for £32,  I have this in the shade B20 I would say this is a good medium coverage, the scent is lovely but some of you may not like it. It is water base and is quite hydrating and it lasts quite well on my face, but I tend to reserve this for special occasions because of it's price.
I would rate this a 4/5

Revlon colour-stay whipped foundation- this is not available in the UK so sorry, but I would also recommend the orginal colourstay. I have this in the shade 150 buff, I would say this is a good medium and can be built to full. So if your not having a good skin day then this will be good because it will cover it and it will last all day. This foundation seriously lasts all day.
I would give this a 4/5


Now on to extras:

The only primer I own Is the nivea express hydration primer, this retails for £5 ish so really quite cheap. I have the one for dry skin (with the pink lid) there is also a version for normal to oily skins which has a blue lid. I really like this it is like a moisturiser and a primer, so it means one less step I have to do in a morning. I don't know if it makes my sound action last Longer but it makes my skin feel amazing and really nourished.

The next extra is the urban decay all nighter spray, this retails for £19.50 for 100ml (don't hold me to that I'm not too sure) but I wanted to try so I bought the 30ml one for £9 so it is much better value for the bigger one. I really love this I can honestly say it makes make makeup last longer, they also do a version called de slick which is for people with oily skin and they also do a hydrating one for dry skins. I really love this.


Tools:
Real techniques buffing brush (core collection) £21.99
Real techniques expert face brush £9.99
Real techniques stippling brush £11.99
What can I say, well done Samantha chapman, these brushes are truly excellent and they are an amazing price for brushes. I love all of the for foundation I would recommend any of them.
Now I have one thing I have loved so much recently and that is the cosmopolitan beauty blender, what you do Is you wet this under the tap and it expand, but then if you apply your foundation with this it buffs it in beautifully and flawlessly, I love it, I never look cakey when using this tool and it is a bargain at £4.99.


So I hope you enjoyed this summer foundation 101, I thought I'd tell you about each so you could judge which one you think is most appropriate for what you want out of a foundation.

Thank you so much for reading xxxA
Ps- sorry this is a lengthy one :)

1 comment: